Cracks in Walls

MOJH

Has anyone else been contacted by an Andrè (apparently got my number from Laing O'Rourke) regarding cracking along the joints of the precast blocks? I think the problem is isolated to a small number of units.

Beanie

Moderator (Bradogue Court)
I just got a call today. Getting started before x-mas I hope. Let you know how it goes.

Beanie

Hi - I am not at all happy with the paint work in my appartment. Has anyone else had their repainted and the cracks fixed? If at all possible I would like someone to come and view my appartment to check out the work done there and let me know if it's the same in their appartment.

MOJH

I got mine done a number of months back (July or August). The method they used was to cover the cracks with a thin film, plaster over this and then paint. The result was uneven and fairly obvious but better than the cracks. Most were holding up ok but I've noticed all the cracks start to show up again in the last month.

What problems are you having Beanie.

Megawatt

structural failure

Hi Guys, what you are seeing in your apartments or houses are probably signs of serious structural defects. Superficial defects usually disappear completely when remedied.

May I suggest that you engage a qualified engineer to evaluate you observations. It may cost you, but you will not regret it. I am particularly worried when you say;
"......The result was uneven and fairly obvious but better than the cracks. Most were holding up ok but I've noticed all the cracks start to show up again......". Seems to me as acceptance of a shoddy job for your lifetime investment.

Probably this is the time to start inquirying on how to invoke the Homebond cover. As far as I am aware, the development was advertised as being covered by Homebond 10 year guarantee (see Bradogue Court brochure, page 10). Homebond provides 10 year cover for structural defects among other issues. The following address may be useful:

HomeBond
The National House Building Guarantee Scheme,
Construction House,
Canal Road,
Dublin 6.

Tel: +353-1-1850 306 300
Fax: +353-1-496 6548

Best wishes
MW

Beanie

I just got my paintwork done so at the moment I am unhappy with the unevenness as I was told I wouldn't even notice it. I'm not far enough along to see if the cracks are reappearing.

Is it worth giving the builder a shout? Or else to get a structural engineer in to check all structural work in the complex. That way we might be able to stop the builders from leaving before it's all fixed up.