Is anybody still around?

Dub

Moderator (Donabate)
Did either of you notice a rather larger (than usual)crowd of teenagers hanging around Supervalue over the weekend? especially around the doomed video shop?

Now I would have seen this through my rear view mirror as I drove past (so only a glimpse) but I saw at least one young fella with the obligatory hood, scaling along the wall between the new yellow building and the old cottage and dropping in behind. Is this the new den for bord teenagers ? drink? drugs? ritual animal sacrifices? Ok maybe Im losing the run of myself and my gossipmeter is tipping towards evil but what can I say Im bord to.

yummymummy

Moderator (Donabate)
Didn't notice although I think I was only down in Supervalu once over the weekend.

I read a post on the other forum a while ago where somebody said that if the kids from Grove Lodge miss their curfew they're locked out for the night!!!! How mad is that, a homeless shelter locking homeless kids out on the street to do God knows what!

Beba

Yep Yummy, that was me actually. I've been told from a friend who is a nurse there. Isn't that unbelievable?? I was in shock when she told me.
This is another proof, if we ever needed more, that this kind of institution is completely useless and wrong.

Dub

Moderator (Donabate)
But where do they spend the night? with friends? hostels in town or are they sleeping rough? Its been bloody freezing for months, I wonder have they got a squat some where, one of the unfinished shops maybe.

I suppose the real fun will kick off on Paddy's night, its an open invite in this country for all the little knackers to go on a drink fuelled rampage.

Beba

My friend told me they just hang around all night and sleep rough...How can this be legal?? It's not safe for our community but it is totally unfair to the kids in first place!! I mean, you would think that the goal of this kind of institutions would be try to educate and gradually teach problematic kids how to live in our society, not lock them out and leave them alone all night in the freezing cold...No wonder they grow angry and aggressive. What if something happened to one of them? I heard on the telly once, that a worrying number of kids in care just disappear. I'm not surprised now. This is really serious. Who's ever gonna take responsibility for this kids' lives?

yummymummy

Moderator (Donabate)
Surely if they are in that kind of care in the first place the HSE is responsible for them and they have designated social workers???? Therefore, I would think that the HSE is negligent in its duty of care!

Having said that I'm sure it is out of sight out of mind, as far as the HSE is concerned. They have a placement so let them get on with it! I have a family member who is a foster carer and the stories she tells me about the kind of people who are allowed to foster kids frightens me!

Dub

Moderator (Donabate)
Its pretty hard to adopt a kid, I would have thought the rules for fostering would have been even more difficult considering potentially alot more kids can pass through the hands of foster parents? (I have no experience or knowledge in this area, its just a presumption I would have made).

yummymummy

Moderator (Donabate)
I would have thought so too and I do know that you have to go through a long process to become a foster carer. But I was also surprised to hear about some of the attitudes of the people that my family member came across!

yummymummy

Moderator (Donabate)
Haha, so we are. One of the things that appalled me was that one of the other carers in the support group apparently asked my family member whether she had any 'dark children'. I can't believe in this day and age that someone with such an attitude, no matter how innocent or naive, would think its ok to use that kind of language. Nor can I believe that it wasn't addressed in the vetting process!

Dub

Moderator (Donabate)
Well you were right Yummy the whole Foster care service is in the papers today, not much veting being done at all.

yummymummy

Moderator (Donabate)
I know, was about to post the same thing. Have been reading lots over the last few days about the foster care service and also child protection in general. In particular the case of the young man who took his father to court for years of abuse. Its hard to believe that things like that are still happening within the last 10 years and even today! I have worked with families in crisis and I know how hard it is to take children into care but the rights of the child are definitely not being adequately protected!

Lavidolas

My friend told me they just hang around all night and sleep rough...How can this be legal?? It's not safe for our community but it is totally unfair to the kids in first place!! I mean, you would think that the goal of this kind of institutions would be try to educate and gradually teach problematic kids how to live in our society, not lock them out and leave them alone all night in the freezing cold...No wonder they grow angry and aggressive. What if something happened to one of them? I heard on the telly once, that a worrying number of kids in care just disappear. I'm not surprised now. This is really serious. Who's ever gonna take responsibility for this kids' lives?
OMG - I hadn't heard this! That's insane, cruel, wrong and typical HSE madness. I am ringing Joe Duffy immediately! :mad:

MatterOfFact

**Warning**

For anyone who happens to come across this thread .. there is information contained in the above posts that is completely wrong! Always a good idea in life to check your sources or maybe research and [god forbid] read something before acting on 'my friend told me' ..

Please see following link: http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Publications/services/Children/PoliciesProceduresChildren'sCentres.html

Also for anyone interested in some of the underlying psychology of this thread: http://www.helium.com/items/587049-understanding-the-evils-and-dangers-of-group-think

cordially,

Matter of Fact