Old Chocolate Factory Apartments Delay

Uctoshocked

I see that the opening of the Hilton has been delayed again! You really wonder what they are doing on that site because it certainly isn't work
I got a letter during the week from the builders informing me my apartment would be ready by September. At last! Only the 15 months after they initially told me it would be completed.....

dublin8_lynn

I got a letter during the week from the builders informing me my apartment would be ready by September. At last! Only the 15 months after they initially told me it would be completed.....
What phase are you? Is it one of the ones close to the hotel or further back?

Uctoshocked

What phase are you? Is it one of the ones close to the hotel or further back?
Not sure what phase I'm in, but the apartment is in Core 3. It's closer to the other end of the development than the hotel.

Latest word is that the hotel is open for business on May 21st.

Andrew123

Hi!

The treatment of the developers to the purchasers is crazy. I bought in Core 4 and have had conversations with them about completion. They never respond with informationas promised. I am in the industry and work on similar developments and this treatment is unheard of even in the market we are in.

I wrote a letter to them last week expressing my frustration and have heard nothing back yet. I think if they are treating everybody like this, it is unresonable and unacceptable. I bouth my place in March 2005! I was told completion August 06!

Vary frustrating!

Uctoshocked

Hi!

The treatment of the developers to the purchasers is crazy. I bought in Core 4 and have had conversations with them about completion. They never respond with informationas promised. I am in the industry and work on similar developments and this treatment is unheard of even in the market we are in.

I wrote a letter to them last week expressing my frustration and have heard nothing back yet. I think if they are treating everybody like this, it is unresonable and unacceptable. I bouth my place in March 2005! I was told completion August 06!

Vary frustrating!

Join the club!

I've found them impossible to get information out of and incapable of common courtesies such as returning phone calls so I wouldn't be checking the post for a letter back from them.

What I found most galling was the letter I got last week from them saying my apartment was "progressing well" and expected to be completed in September. How 15 months overdue constitutes "progressing well" I don't know.

A well run company would offer us some kind of token apology like pre-installing wooden floors or something like that. All I'm expecting is a letter demanding the rest of the money the second they consider it complete.......

Andrew123

Plan of action

Hi Again

All I can suggest is a number of purchasers come together and demand a reasonable response to our frustrations. As you stated, the minute they are reay for us we will be under pressure to close the sale. Now is the time to act when we have the time on our side for raising our issues.

Are there many people in this forum that would be willing to attack as a group as opposed to individual efforts?

Andrew

ac1976

It might be a good idea to start by writing to the developers, Lalco.
If everyone writes to the same person, and also calls or emails the vendor, Hooke & McDonald or Gunne, again speaking to the same person, then I would expect to get a response. The vendors will put presser on Lalco to respond if enough people contact them.

Also we should all ask to be kept up-to-date in writing on a monthly, or bi-monthly basis on the expected completion date and progress.

People should also be aware that the first completions were asked to snag their apartments over a month ago, and the sales have yet to be completed.
This is not acceptable, snagging should be done when the apartment is ready to move into and not before. The builder (not developer) should do their own snagging before asking you to snag, it looks like they took a shortcut and got the purchasers to do this work on their behalf.

ac1976

My understanding is that the delay was caused by alterations to the planning permission, the builders had to wait for amendments to be approved before "topping out" the buildings. This is done on most developements, they add in a few extra apartments during construction.
I think there are approx 40 apartments in the development that have yet to be sold, some of these are extra to the original planning permission.

It would have been nice to have been given an explination, as if this is the case theres no reason to expect any further signifigant delays.
Lalco are the project managers and responsable for managing any delays.

Another piece of news is that the road and footpath between the development and kilmainham gaol & courthouse are being replaced and upgraded to plaza style, there is a planning permission sign up on a tree there. The whole area will look very well when complete.

It will be worth the wait I'm sure.

ac1976

Oh and nearly forgot to mention, the Hotel is opening on May 21st.
Presumable the first people to move into the apartments will be the same week.

Uctoshocked

I'd definitely be interested in lodging some kind of co-ordinated written complaint with the developers and/or selling agents. I'm not sure enough people who have bought subscribe to this board to drum up a decent number, but no harm in trying. If people know anybody else who bought an apartment and is also seriously annoyed, maybe they could refer them here.

Are there other property-related message boards where we could find more disgruntled buyers?

Had a look at that video on YouTube - is it just me or does the apartment look very small?

Andrew123

I think if we could get 5 or 6 apartment purchasers to write one letter, it would be helpful. I think it is safe to say everyone at this stage wants to take the apartment but its the standard that worries me, the lack of response and the general specification.

It was marketed and priced at the time as a top drawer development. I'm not getting that from what i see! The kitchens do not impress me, the bathrooms are of a medium standard. Maybe I'm too pickie and you need to put your own stamp on a place but it seems value engineering was carried out on this development (corners were cut, savings made)

I think a form of compensation should be sugested as a gesture, weather that be free membership to the gym for a year or a floor finish to the living area? Lalco will own the hotel in partnership with The Hilton, they have the leverage to allow some form of compensation/ good will gesture.

Andrew123

By the way, I am in core 4. I have received no letter informing me it will be ready in September. Does this mean, it will be later?

sapphire

Update on my apt

Update

Did snag list over a month ago. Not many snags on list, all of a minor nature. Apt is very small, (1bed), had a look at some of the 2 beds in Core 6 and they are also very small.

Solicitor drew money down and tried to arrange closing. Builder solicitor said that they did not have all the paperwork and it would take a day or two. That was a week ago. Have requested solicitor to return money to lender. Something strange going on, how come the paperwork is not ready if they have issued closure notice!

I am seriously considering trying to get out of this contract.

Andrew123

Sounds unusual. They seem very unorganised or may have issue with their funders?

Did you measure your apartment. Is the square metre/ square footage as per the marketing plans? If not, you may have a case to reverse the contract.

Uctoshocked

Sounds unusual. They seem very unorganised or may have issue with their funders?

Did you measure your apartment. Is the square metre/ square footage as per the marketing plans? If not, you may have a case to reverse the contract.
I think builders have some leeway to deviate from marketing plans in the final construction so I wouldn't be 100% sure that's a basis for reversing the contract.

It is worrying that the snagged apartments are small and the one in that video on YouTube looks tiny. They were marketed as spacious and modern which looks like being at least 50% untrue.

sapphire

If I remember correctly, there was never any indication of how big the apts would be( other than the usual "large"). Even on signing of contracts, the floor area was not listed. I also checked the planning dept and could not find the size of each apt, only the size of the block was indicated.

The marketing brochure is not part of the contract and it can show what it likes even if the builder has no intention of constructing that way. In the marketing brochure, my apt has a large balcony but when i went to sign contracts, the balcony was only large enough for one person to have a smoke!

I measured my apt and by my calculations ,it is approx 460 sq feet.

I checked with my solicitor and there is a clause in it stating that the apt must be ready within 2 years but guess what. I signed in April 2005 but builder didn't send contract back until June 2005 so the 2 years are not up yet.

The apt i bought is on the side looking onto the rear of the houses. I hear that these have been purchased by the developer so i can expect to be looking at another block at some stage. I orginally wanted an apt looking into the courtyard but during my snagging i got a chance to look into some of these apt. These apt are heavily overlooked to a much greater extent than on the plans. On the brochure, it looks like there is large seperation of cores but this is not the case and the courtyard is much smaller than i expected.

In my opinion, the finish on the apt is very good and they look much better than in the youtube video.

ac1976

The one bed apartment were marketed as 44 to 54 Sq Meters
Two beds 62 - 77 sq m
three beds 81 - 104 sq m
this is stated on the price list given out by the vendor.

460 sq ft is approx 43 sq meters, this is actually above the average size of apartments.
If you look on myhome most 1 beds in the city are smaller than this (averaging about 420 sq ft), so maybee when you have you floor and furniture it wont seem so small. I hope its just first impressions and that it works out for you when you finally get your keys!

dublin8_lynn

Had a look at that video on YouTube - is it just me or does the apartment look very small?
I wouldnt worry about how the place looks on that video. You cant judge it properly from that. Apartments always look small when there's no furniture etc in them. I heard from someone who works in the industry (but not in choc factory) that the word is that the standard and finish of them will be very good. (Granted, they would want to be after this long!)