Old Chocolate Factory Apartments Delay

PJG

Further Delays

I just heard that some apartments could be delayed by another 4 weeks at least. I'm not sure which apartments as Lalco haven't met the builder yet. Hardly surprising given the level of incompetence shown to date.

Andrew123

Lalco are incompetent

I heard the same, simply by calling them all the time. I was told about a week and half ago, it will be 4-6 weeks MINIMUM!

Its the most frustrating feeling to think that purchasers have no rights or say in this waiting game. No compensation and no certainty to when we will be in our apartments. Its corrupt. Thy have 25k of my money for 2 and half years and I have nothing to show for it!!

When is enough enough. Is there any protection to the purchaser??

dublin8_valmul

New Launch

I recently received an email about the pre launch or extra units, €410k for a 640 sq ft 2 bed apartment, just wondering if this is way over the odds for one of these apartments? have orgainsed to go and view tomorrow evening to get an idea of size etc...

ac1976

Hi Valmul, if you compare to the prices of the nearby Clancy Quay development this sounds very good, it's probably at least 10% less expensive than Clancy Quay. you should check that out to compare as I think the Chocolate Factory is better located (closer to Luas/shops etc).

dublin8_valmul

thanks for the update, after reading through most of this thread I am a bit suspicious of the October completions date which I was given! I suppose it costs nothing to have a look :)

ToshieB

Ntl

HI

Does anyone have NTL setup in their Apt?

Rang them yesterday and they say they dont recognise the address .ie Kilmainham Sq

Thanks

melted

I heard the same, simply by calling them all the time. I was told about a week and half ago, it will be 4-6 weeks MINIMUM!

Its the most frustrating feeling to think that purchasers have no rights or say in this waiting game. No compensation and no certainty to when we will be in our apartments. Its corrupt. Thy have 25k of my money for 2 and half years and I have nothing to show for it!!

When is enough enough. Is there any protection to the purchaser??
Hello I am melted, think of this, they also had 25k of my money for the same length of time but guess what my dream was melted by a bunch of "Smarties"
I now have no apartment to look forward to, as the one I bought did not exit in its supposed form Hope there is no one out there who are in the same boat and there is protection for the customer its a big building on the quays in Dublin I had to go there. Anyone wants to know more?

ourbhoy

Hello I am melted, think of this, they also had 25k of my money for the same length of time but guess what my dream was melted by a bunch of "Smarties"
I now have no apartment to look forward to, as the one I bought did not exit in its supposed form Hope there is no one out there who are in the same boat and there is protection for the customer its a big building on the quays in Dublin I had to go there. Anyone wants to know more?
Hi M,

sorry to hear this -what happened and which building did you have to go to for protection - Council Offices or High Court ?

:confused:

Uctoshocked

For those still waiting to move in..........

I went to view the show apartment last week (it looked fantastic by the way!) and asked the estate agent about completion for the site. She told me that it was officially scheduled to be fully completed by November, but off the record she couldn't see it being finished until close to Christmas. Which wasn't welcome news for me given the latest I've been told by Lalco was that my place would be ready by the end of October.

For what it's worth, my guess from getting in and viewing the site is that Cores 1, 2 & 3 are furthest from completion.

dublin8_horse

Getting Worried Now!

I have trouble getting in touch with Lalco too. But from the last conversation I had with them I was told the builders would hand over my apt on Oct 16th. I have rang a few times since to see if they are on schedule and no-one can tell me. I assume mine is nearly ready to snag but I'd be keen to hear what melted meant by "not exit in its supposed form".

Andrew123

RE: Offers

Has anybody seeked a reduction in the cost of their apartment due to the current market changes in property values and cost of mortgages?

Uctoshocked

Has anybody seeked a reduction in the cost of their apartment due to the current market changes in property values and cost of mortgages?
Think you'd be doing well to get a reduction. The apartments that are on sale in the current phase are significantly more expensive than when Phase 1 was launched. A apartment similar to the one I bought is selling for €90k more (including parking space) than I paid for mine in March '05. Apparently there is a lot of interest in the Chocolate Factory from the rental market which may explain the rising prices. I had a call from an estate agent telling me that if I wanted to let my place out (if it ever gets finished!) tenants would be lining up for it.

Andrew123

Can I ask, which apartment you are purchasing? There has been 3-4 apartments for sale on myhome.ie for a long time now (6-8months). Prices have dropped, hard to judge if they have gone back to March 05 prices or less. I bought mine on second round sales in April/May 05. I am certain my apartment has certainly not appreciated by €90k

I may be invited to inspect snag this week. Timing doesn't suit me at all! Its an going saga. Very tired of it at this stage!

ac1976

Hi Andrew, I snagged my apartment earlier this week, the standard was very very high and the people there are very nice and helpful.
They expect to complete the snags in 5-7 days, this is the same for all apartments I believe and then the legal process will follow to get the keys.

The spec and fisish of the apartments is definitely at the highest end of the market. The are top class. The development and area around it are also very impressive.

The prices have certainly increased a lot since March 05.
The apartments on myhome now are not the same ones as 6 months ago, they seem to have been sold and some more added on as they have been completed. And there seems to be a lot of interest in the development.
You might also notice the apartments for sale privately at the moment are more expensive than the ones on sale 6 months ago, this is exceptional.

Andrew123

Thanks for that. I know the development is nice. I'm just bitter after many delays and ongoing lies from lalco on completion dates. Its very frustrating!

Best of luck with your new apartment!

Uctoshocked

Can I ask, which apartment you are purchasing? There has been 3-4 apartments for sale on myhome.ie for a long time now (6-8months). Prices have dropped, hard to judge if they have gone back to March 05 prices or less. I bought mine on second round sales in April/May 05. I am certain my apartment has certainly not appreciated by €90k

I may be invited to inspect snag this week. Timing doesn't suit me at all! Its an going saga. Very tired of it at this stage!
I bought a two bed in Core 3. The price I paid for it in March 05 is 90k below what a similar unit is now going for with Hooke and McDonald in the last phase. Of course there’s no guarantee that H&M will get the higher price and they may have to reduce it. Just as an indicator, I paid €25k for a parking space in March 05. They’re now going for €35k, which is a 40% increase.

:rolleyes: Like many people writing to this forum, I first placed my deposit of 25,000 in March 2005 (the 7th to be exact - in H&Ms office). As we are rapidly approaching the 3rd anniversary of this date I decided it would not be unreasonable to enquire yet again when I might be called for snagging and was informed that there are more delays afoot and as of last friday I wont be invited to snag for at least 3 weeks!!
Does any one know if this is really the case or are these more delay tactics???
Also it seems impossible to get any exact information about the floor area or apartment layout! H&M told me plans dont exist thats why I cant see one; does this mean the builders are working from their heads? Might explain the problems encountered!

Uctoshocked

Apparently the sub-contractors, Sisk, are on interest penalties from the bank due to the late completion, so I don’t think Lalco are to blame for the delays. What I take issue with is their inability to keep people informed. We are spending a lot of money on these apartments yet they’ve consistently missed their own deadlines and the only way we can find out about the ongoing delays is to try to contact them, often unsuccessfully in my experience!

Anyway, Lalco have the floor plans. I got mine sent to me via email earlier this year. You won’t get them from H&M, but I suggest contacting Lalco who should send them to you.

Andrew123

RE: Delays

Contact Kevin Burke of Lalco. He is the most frustrating man to deal with but seems to be Lalco's main man??

I requested receessed lights in my place. I was surprised they were not in the original spec as the spec sheet does say "generous electrical specification"

They are trying to charge me €2.2k for the privlage. I am more frustrated to see core 3 apartments that are high up have recessed lights as standard and can only assume they bought from the same marketing brochure as the rest of us! Why do those apartments get better finished (specification) than others?

dublin8_lynn

Anyway, Lalco have the floor plans. I got mine sent to me via email earlier this year. You won’t get them from H&M, but I suggest contacting Lalco who should send them to you.
Lalco also emailed me detailed floor plans as soon as I asked them..which was a pleasant surprise given the fact all other emails have been ignored.

Does anyone know what appliances are included in the kitchen?

I have been told I will be called to snag next week. At this stage Im not holding my breath. Finally, to the folks already moved in, any idea what the maintenance fees are?