The All New Hot Water Thread

europhile

I want to get the hot water sorted out once and for all.

I managed to figure out the central heating with the help of some posters here. Many thanks for that.

I've been using the immersion for hot water (I know, I know) but have got an unacceptably high bill and am going to have to start using the gas for water heating.

The problem is that it doesn't heat up the water. I had it on for two hours this morning and the chill was hardly taken off the water. In fact, the bit of heat that was in it could well have been left over from yesterday.

I obviously need to adjust something. But what? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, again.

thevillage_Simon

Moderator (The Village)
Hi

Could be a couple of things.

Have you the hot water timing on the control panel set and does the light come on for a couple of hours?

Is the thermostat on the tank set to about 60 degrees?

Is the stopcock open for the heating loop from the boiler? (Should be a list on the hot press door to tell you which one it is)

Cheers

Austfest98

You definitly have a problem somewhere. I have the water on for 40 minutes before I get up and it is roasting in the shower and it it still hot when I get home from work in the evening.

Are all the taps in the appartment as cold? I had an issue before where the mixer in the shower was broken and although I had it set to hot water only, I was getting cold water and at the same time hot was coming out of the tap.

europhile

Have you the hot water timing on the control panel set and does the light come on for a couple of hours? I didn't use the timer but I pressed the button twice (two hours) and light came on.

Is the thermostat on the tank set to about 60 degrees? Yes.

Is the stopcock open for the heating loop from the boiler? (Should be a list on the hot press door to tell you which one it is) This the black butterfly thing that I might have ajdusted when my heating wasn't working? When you say open, do you mean turned anti-clockwise completely? P.S. Heating is working fine

Many thanks.

thevillage_Simon

Moderator (The Village)
Is the stopcock open for the heating loop from the boiler? (Should be a list on the hot press door to tell you which one it is) This the black butterfly thing that I might have ajdusted when my heating wasn't working? When you say open, do you mean turned anti-clockwise completely? P.S. Heating is working fine

Many thanks.
No there is a different stopcock (I think they are red, will look tonight) that allows the water from the boiler to heat the tank.

If you have been living there less than a year give Harris Heating a call on 1850 348 348 and they will get someone out to you without charging you.

thevillage_Simon

Moderator (The Village)
Just had a look at mine and there is a 2 port motorized valve that controls whether the boiler can heat the water tank so that is probably the problem if you are getting central heating. Give Harris Heating a ring & they will be able to sort it.

europhile

As far as I recall when Harris came out that time, they just switched on something/opened up something and it was business as usual.

The hot water has gone again. Also, the immersion is not heating the water.

Central heating is working fine.

Could somebody talk me through all the things I should check before I phone a plumber on Monday. In simple language, please!

Many thanks.

nancy74

im a plumber ,
1 make sure you have hot water set on the timer
2 check the motorized valve is open (check pipe is hot either side of the motorized valve )
if not there is a sliding switch at the front of it that you can slide into open position if this opens the valve and hot water then gets through you prob need a new motorized valve
3 if the immersion and the motorized valve arnt working its probably just a fuse blown or a switch tripped
4 there is (almost always) a red wheel shaped valve (called a gate valve) check this is not all the way closed . its usually open about two/three turns
thats all i think of off the top of my head without seeing it