What stage is your house at?

sburs

Can anyone say on average how long it was before they were told house was available for first snagging and they finally received keys i.e. completed the sale?

ladyofthecastle

well we saw the house again this morning and I think that we are only days away from the snag list completion at this stage, so if signing on December 1st, we are talking close to 1 1/2 months between notification of completion and having the keys in hand (sollicitor is very efficient so not adding anymore than about 2 days between telling her we are going ahead and actually getting the keys)

ladyofthecastle

missing items/modification from contract

Has anybody found that there were items missing/changed from the contract?
The kitchen in our type D is 1 foot shorter, the shower trays are 80cm rather than 90 as specified in contract, and we seem to be missing an inlet for the central vacuum system downstairs. Are we plain unlucky or have other experienced the same?

cork_Neighbour

Snag

Will let you know once I do my snag - due to be called any day now.
Guess they are in a rush to get the snags called before Christmas :eek:

cork_Red

Lady of the Castle,
A contract is a contract, you are entitled to ask them to correct anything that is wrong, but that would delay your handover and you might have to fight for it. There may be good reasons for the changes (maybe the 90cm tray clashed with a door opening) but they should have informed you and if the changes are significant, offered some form of compo.
I did hear that on the early Type Bs the timber frame fabricators put the back door in the wrong place and Celtic Interiors had to modify the utility room layout to make it work.

ladyofthecastle

Thanks Red. I don't think that I will be pushing it at this stage but I will def. use this to get the 1K rebate.
Neighbour: you are right, they are def. pushing for houses to close before Xmas with comments such as 'we could try to do this or that but at this stage but that would be pushing your move back to the New Year' etc.

sburs

Hi Lady of the Castle,
I snagged today and also found that my kitchen was a foot shorter than what it should be. How did you raise this with Castlelands? Was there any form of compensation offered?

cork_Red

Sburs,
Is yours a type D as well? Or is this problem common to all types? Did you gain the foot back in the adjacent room(s)?

ladyofthecastle

Kitchen shorter

I only found out about the kitchen being shorter because I was raised the issue of the size of the kitchen drawers with the kitchen manufacturer and he told me. I did not check the size of the utility (which is larger according to kitchen guy). I did not raise it with the builder as I don't think that there was any measurements indicated in the contract and on the brochure they are for your giudance only and not binding. Also it is too late to change. It's too bad as I would have prefered to have more space in the rooms I am going to use most, as it is the kitchen looks EVEN SMALLER :mad:
Also on the issue of how long it takes from 1st call about completion to snagging to keys in hands: it took us 1 1/2 month exactly. I guess a few others have found out as there is def. a lot more activity in the Mews and the Avenue with loads of cars coming in and families moving. Can't wait for next week: going to spend our first night there!

sburs

Hello all. Yeah my sitting room is slightly larger. I've snagged but it seems that I still don't have electricity (i'm basing this on the fact that there's no power light on my alarm). This is a bit of a worry seeing as I can't test all sockets. My towel warmers still haven't been fitted either. So...lots to snag..No sink or granite worktops yet either..
Hows everyone else getting on? The xmas tree by the mini roundabout looks great with the lights. Wonder whether it'll be there next year (I presume Castlelands put this up and will remove it in the new year)? Also, can anyone remember what it states in our contracts about who maintains the common areas, such as cutting the grass etc?
Might not be any harm to start thinking about a residents committee come spring/summer?

cork_macer

Ensure your plumbing issues are sorted before closing the sale. The Plumber isn't very reliable.
Don't expect you'll have a problem with the electricity they are efficient.

Sawyer

Well it like this. Unless every thing is finished then it is not ready for snagging. Complete doesn't mean 90% finished. If I find my work top missing when I go to snag I will walk back out the door back to office and explain in writing the my house is not ready for snagging. I do my snag to spot defects.

ladyofthecastle

Hi Sburs, our granite worktop was not there when we snagged first, I can't remember about the electricity but think it was there (but not the gas). I have been told that the towel warmers/gas fire/electric showers are being fitted once the house closes, as otherwise they might 'walk'. Since we closed at the beg. of the month, the gas fire has been delivered, and the plumber came back onsite to measure up for the towel rads, fingers crossed they will be in before Friday...
The Christmas tree looks great indeed. Can't remember what was said in the contract about the common areas...

Sawyer

Was called for my snag. Went down with Snagger. Shocked that Castleland said it was ready for snagging. If they think its ready for snagging then they think it is complete. Their Site Manager/Foreman must be blind. The painting was the worst i have ever witness. No way there was 2 coat or in some areas no coat. Generally cleaning was appalling. Wardrobes in wrong place. Paving marked. I have got pages of imcomplete work. How could they think they could handover the house in the condition it was in. I bet Mr Castlelands John Barry wouldn't accept that it was finished. Trying to speed up the sale I think!
Not going to happen!:mad:

cork_macer

Sawyer - May have been worth your while to inspect the house or have employed an engineer to view the house at various stages during the build.
That way you could have corrected errors as they happened. I bet you would also have received better service.

Best of luck getting everything sorted.

Sawyer

Macer, Don't worry I will get everything sorted. Everything I have on my snag can be sorted.
They are rushing to get their money now and mistakes and poor workmanship is occurring. I have to say this though. I got an extra of secret nailing. That guy cares about his work. What a job.

The painter is a blind monkey from the circus with a paint brush. :confused:

ladyofthecastle

Sawyer, I am so jealous you got the secret nailing!!! Was told to get it and wanted it, but other half thought that the money could be better spent. What a mistake... The floors look really nice, but the nailing is an eyesore.
What house type did you buy Sawyer, and what was wrong with the wardrobes? I have a type D and found that the wardrobe in the largest back bedroom is 2 doors rather than 3. Queried this twice with provider of wardrobes, and twice was told that this would be checked. Still waiting for the phone call... Has anybody else noticed? On the positive site the appliances are being integrated at no extra cost, just need to get the number from the guy from Aiden. They integrated the fridge and the dishwasher and it looks perfect.Great work and saved us a lot of hard work.

DamianM

We did our snag yesterday. Thankfully nothing serious showed up. However it occured to me that there's no outlet for the extarctor fan in the kitchen. Has anyone else noticed this? Our house is a Type B.

cork_Red

DamianM
Are you sure that you have an extractor or is it a recirculation fan. Some fans (intended for use with no available outside wall) have carbon filters in them and they just filter the air and dumkp it back into the room. If it is an extractor, the outlet is seriously important.

DamianM

Hi Red,

We bought an extractor fan. It hasn't been installed yet. I was just wondering had others had the same experience - i.e. they bought an extractor fan and are now faced with making a hole in the wall for the outlet.